Thursday, December 6, 2012

chapter 27

May 1991 . At the Lower Deck , Downtown , Halifax . One of the kids that I befriended at camp is about to get married . I have a great relationship with his entire family . Get this : I would take the boy for a movie and a hamburger , take him back to his house and join his Dad and Drinky for a few evening snorks , then fool around with his sister . Oh , yes . Less we forget his wonderful Mom . Her roll would be to make me coffee for after my skinny dip at their own private spot on the lake .

The entertainment does not show up . Fuck it !!! I go on stage and begin my organic stand-up gig . The crowed is loving me . Suddenly , someone appears in the back . It is HIM . The man himself . Anthony Quinn , the greatest stand-up east of Montreal is in the building . And he is indeed standing up ; and moving in my direction .  

I have never gone "head to head"  before . And I am beginning my journey with the best this side of Sir George Carlin .

I would like to say that I lost . It would add to the humility of my story . But fate played a different hand that night . Me and Drinky just wiped the fucking stage with Mr. Quinn...and after I leave , some fellow yells out : "he's a minister" . Apparently , there was no response .


Learning from my humiliation at my last summer of camp...I was never to do stand-up again . 

No comments:

Post a Comment